My husband and I have enjoyed this dessert many times which everyone will love. by far, my favourite treat! Each country has its own version of names also known as custard pudding, creme caramel, caramel custard or leche flan. Here you will be able to achieve a very smooth and creamy texture. Follow my secret recipe and easy steps below and you are sure to wow and impress everyone.
• 58g, 1/4 cup sugar
• 250g, 1 cup fresh milk
• 58g, 1/4 cup sugar
• 3 tbsp water
• 3 eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• softened butter - for greasing the ramekins
1) In a saucepan, heat sugar and milk over medium-low heat until the sugar is completely melted. Let cool completely.
2) For making caramel, In another saucepan, add the sugar and water, cook until it is dissolved with no stirring and keep an eye on it, as the sugar begins to a syrup ranging in colour from golden to dark brown. Remove immediately from the heat to make sure it doesn't burn.
3) Brush the ramekins with softened butter and quickly and carefully pour hot caramel syrup into the ramekins and turning evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
4) In a medium bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract, milk mixture and gently whisk until combined.
5) Set a strainer over a saucepan and put the egg mixture through the strainer, repeated twice and transfer your mixture back through the sieve, then pour into a prepared ramekins and cover with aluminium foil.
6) To prepare a water bath. Pour enough boiling-hot water in a larger pan. water level comes 3cm / 1 inch to reach halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake in preheated oven 150°c for 45 minutes or until the flan is set in the centre.
7) Serve immediately! To unmold, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin and turn flan over on a serving plate, ending with caramel on top.
1) Baking at the right temperature is important. It's recommended to use an oven thermometer to control the set oven temperature. I used - (Westmark Oven Thermometer) - 150°c for baking this recipe. If you use the oven same as me - Beko OIM22300X Electric Single Oven - Preheated the oven to 100°c for 50 minutes.
2) High temperatures and direct heat can easily make the flan with a load of bubbles in it, or tiny holes all over and the texture wasn't smooth.
3) To steam - Simply arrange all the baking ramekins in a steamer and steam on low heat for about 35 minutes or until the flan is set in the centre.
4) By sieving the mixture, you will remove a lot of the bubbles and also no lumps from beaten eggs. This is the important part which will give you to achieving the smoothest flan.
5) Remove burnt sugar from a saucepan? I boiled with a water, soaking and a good dish brush, it came absolutely clean.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk